There has been a worshipping community in the ancient village of East Wickham since the C12th, when a chapel of ease was set up in the ancient parish of Plumstead.
This small building is now used by the Greek Orthodox Community of Christ The Saviour.
In the C19th we became a separate parish, and to cope with the swift expansion of the parish between the wars, the current St Michael's Church was built in the 1930s.
Below are pictures from the parish's history:
A map of East Wickham in 1909. Mostly farm land and orchards back then. (Image courtesy of Bexley Archives):
A very old parish magazine (September 1916):
Sanctuary of the old church:
Construction of the 'new' 1930s building, including laying of foundation stone:
Consecration of the new St Michael's by Bishop Richard Parsons of Southwark, 18th February 1933.
Some images of our church school. Including the laying of the foundation stone in 1938:
St Michael's, Christmas 1961:
- Upper Wickham Lane
- DA16 3AP
020 8304 1214